Earthquake in Delhi-NCR: Earthquake tremors were felt in Delhi-NCR on Tuesday afternoon. Earthquake tremors were felt at many places in UP and Uttarakhand. According to the National Center for Seismology, the earthquake occurred at 2:28 pm. The epicenter of the earthquake is said to be 10 km below the ground in Nepal. The intensity of this earthquake on the Richter scale was 5.8.
What is Richter scale?
Explain that the Richter scale is used to measure the intensity of an earthquake. It was discovered by American scientists Charles Richter and Benno Guterberg in 1935. The Richter scale was originally designed to measure the magnitude of an earthquake. The idea was to express the intensity of the earthquake in a number so that it could be compared with other earthquakes.
How is intensity measured?
Earthquake is mild on 0 to 1.9 Richter scale and can be detected only by seismograph.
Light tremors are felt when an earthquake occurs on the 2 to 2.9 Richter scale.
When an earthquake on the 3 to 3.9 Richter scale occurs, it has the effect of a truck passing near you.
– When an earthquake occurs on the 4 to 4.9 Richter scale, the windows of the houses can break and the frames hanging on the walls can fall.
– Furniture and other large items can be shaken when an earthquake occurs on the 5 to 5.9 Richter scale.
– The foundation of buildings can crack when an earthquake occurs on the 6 to 6.9 Richter scale. There may be damage to the upper floors.
Buildings collapse when an earthquake occurs on the 7 to 7.9 Richter scale. Pipes burst inside the ground.
– Big bridges including buildings also collapse when an earthquake occurs on the 8 to 8.9 Richter scale.
– There can be complete devastation when an earthquake occurs on the Richter scale of 9 and above. If someone is standing in the ground, he will see the ground swaying. Tsunami will come if the sea is near.
In an earthquake, each scale of the Richter scale is 10 times more powerful than the previous scale. Scientists say that accurate prediction of earthquake is not possible but it can definitely be ascertained that in which area under the earth and between which plates there is more movement.